Using chip-enabled merchant terminals
- Insert and leave your card in the terminal
- Approve the transaction as prompted by entering your pin or providing a signature
- Remove your card when prompted
Using chip-enabled ATMs
- Insert your card to begin your transaction
- Follow the on-screen instructions as the ATM holds your card
- Take your card when prompted
Your new Bath Savings Chip Card
Bath Savings debit cardholders will begin receiving new chip cards as their current cards expire. There is no need to request a new card. You will automatically receive your new chip card in the mail before your card's expiration date.
If you are planning to travel internationally or have an immediate need for a chip card, please contact us at 1-800-447-4559.
Chip Card FAQs
- What is a chip card?
A chip card — also known as an EMV or smart card — is standard-size plastic debit card that contains an embedded microchip as well as a traditional magnetic stripe. The chip encrypts information to help increase data security when making transactions at terminals or ATMs that are chip-enabled.
- Are chip cards secure?
Yes, while magnetic strip cards are still considered secure, chip cards are even more secure because of a unique process that is used to determine if the card is authentic. This makes the card more difficult to counterfeit or copy.
- Where can I use my chip card?
More terminals and ATMs throughout the U.S. are becoming chip-enabled. Chip technology is commonly used in over 130 countries around the world, including Canada, Mexico and much of Europe. Your chip card will also still work at terminals where only magnetic strip transactions are accepted.
- When can I expect to receive my chip debit card from Bath Savings?
You will receive a debit card with chip technology when your old card expires or needs to be reissued. Until then, you can continue to use your standard card with the magnetic strip.
- Will my chip ATM/debit card work in all atms?
Yes, your card will work at both chip-enabled ATMs and ATMs where only magnetic strip transactions are accepted.
- Can I still use my old card?
No. Once you receive your new chip card the old card should be destroyed.
- Are there any additional fees associated with chip debit cards?
There is no additional cost to have or to use your new card with smart chip technology.
- Do the same benefits come with my chip card as with my other card?
Yes, you will continue to enjoy the same benefits with your chip card as you do with your current debit card.
- What if my card is lost or stolen?
Please keep a record of the telephone number on the back of the card and use it to report your lost or stolen card immediately.
- Will chip cards prevent third-party data breaches?
Chip card technology provides additional security when used at a chip-enabled terminal. The technology may help reduce certain types of fraud resulting from data breaches, but it will not prevent a data breach.